A gateway is a network point that acts as an entrance to another network. On the Internet, a node or stopping point can be either a gateway node or a host (end-point) node. Both the computers of Internet users and the computers that serve pages to users are host nodes. The computers that control traffic within your company's network or at your local Internet service provider (ISP) are gateway nodes.
A network gateway is an inter networking system capable of joining together two networks that use different base protocols. A network gateway can be implemented completely in software, completely in hardware, or as a combination of both. Depending on the types of protocols they support, network gateways can operate at any level of the OSI model.
Because a network gateway, by definition, appears at the edge of a network, related capabilities like firewalls tend to be integrated with it. On home networks, a broadband router typically serves as the network gateway although ordinary computers can also be configured to perform equivalent functions.
How Gateways Works
A gateway is a network point that works as an access to another network. Generally in intranet a node can be either a gateway node or the nodes that join the network are gateways. In large organization where the computers control the traffic between organization networks are gateway nodes. Like that the computers used by ISP to connect different user with each other at a time to the internet are gateway nodes. In a project of any business company computer server work as a gateway nodes and it may be proxy server or firewall some time. A gateway may connected to a router because a router exactly known where to through a given packet of data that appears at the gateway then a switch finalize the actual in and out path of the gateway for the specified packet .A gateway is a compulsory features of routes even though other devices can perform as a gateway. The operating system mostly used this term and internet connection sharing act as a gateway and creating a connection among internal network.
A gateway is full of various types of devices which are essential to make available system interoperability as signal translators. The other devices are protocol translators, impedance matching devices, rate converters, and fault isolators. Some time gateway attached with both router and switch to perform action. When a user using home network with gateway has a transceiver used to set up a wireless connection..
Gateway Usage, Uses of Gateways
There are many kind of usage of gateway in a network as listed below.
· A gateway can be implemented in software, hardware and some time as a mixture of together. There are lots of equipments and techniques which are being processed such as voice and data communication.
· The gateways are the best option to achieve the multimedia communications between dissimilar networks because every network has different protocol and characteristics.
· Gateways are also a key mechanism of any telephony communications. Gateway is offering bridge between telephone network and internet.
· For real time communication gateway supporting audio conversion and carry out extinction and call setup. Gateway also controls the processing information across the network which contains information about to set up the actual end to end call.
· A gateway may also install on a standalone device. A gateway performs as the interface between local and wide area protocols such as TCP/IP on the Internet.
· Gateway is also offering on-line services exclusive of having a preceding service agreement or a continuing association with the service supplier.
For More details: -http://cohtechnologies.com/?portfolio-category=ip-gateways-analog-and-isdn